Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Wednesday's Digressions


  • Unsolicited camping advice: if you are going alone and travelling light- resist the urge to buy a bivy. Just buy a decent lightweight one person tent that has the best ratio of sq ft verses weight verses cost. Read reviews until you are sick of thinking about it - then buy something. Bivy's are swampy and claustrophobic. They are definitely one of those things that look good on paper but you hear few good experiences involving them from people who know what they're talking about.
  • PS: REI s brand name tents are always a good value for money but consider an end of season closeout on a lightweight name brand- MSR, Marmot and The North Face come to mind.
  • PSS: don't ever buy a tent with fiberglass poles.
  • Regardless, spend some money if you expect to get quality at the lowest weight.
  • You know- I may qualify the bivy statement. If you find a US military Gore Tex bivy sack in good shape for cheaps- yeah, give it a try. They're pretty OK for chilly/damp weather (not murderous/drenching weather).
  • I want a DCU pattern one for that matter.
  • It is 10/18/2017 and it rained nearly all night.
  • Growing up everybody in the house was a reader. My dad read soft core, National Enquirer and pulp fiction. My brother science, history and how-to. My sister and I read about anything we could get our hands on. Although she got out of the habit- when I was real young,  mom read True West magazines.
  • To double check the spelling of National Enquirer I went to their website. I just learned that Stevie Wonder can see again.
  • That is great news. I have liked him my whole life and have always hoped the best for him.
  • How to know you are desperate for a fix and you may have a problem: the chick at your breakfast place brings you coffee in a dirty cup and you simply wipe the rim down with a napkin and slurp away.

1 comment:

an Donalbane said...

Them rocks gonna fall over.