Friday, October 1, 2010

Saturday's Summary







  • Went to Lone Star Gun Gallery this afternoon and busted off a 100 rounds from an M4. It's a very nice place and for 18 bucks an hour reasonable entertainment. Felt very good- after initial weird feeling, since I had not touched an M4 since the war. I've taught my oldest to shoot, but now need to teach him the M4 since that's what his life will depend on when he's in the Army. The circle of life I suppose.



  • My shoulder is red and chewed up looking- cool.



  • I had forgotten that Michael Stipe produced Being John Malkovich until I re watched it last night. Next up for my viewing pleasure: Donnie Darko. For the life of me I can't remember hearing Gary Jules Mad World on the soundtrack in the past although it's one of my favorite songs of all time.



  • Going day after tomorrow to donate blood for a local child who required 62 units during a recent hospital stay.



  • Zac wants a motorcycle and a boat (a big, REAL big boat) he specified- my kind of thinking there buddy.



  • Saw a past hospice patients daughter in a restaraunt a while back. She looked at me like she was trying to figure out where she knew me from then her face got red and she became so sad looking I thought she would burst into tears. This is just part of the reason why it's generally a bad idea for continuous care hospice nurses to stay in contact with patients families. We see them in extremely emotional situations when they are very raw and vulnerable. They are also very self conscious of the fact they were not acting themselves and see it as you saw them being weak and maybe a little crazy.



  • He was the one who after being unresponsive for hours and was very near death lifted his head and said,"What happened to you man? You lost yourself somehow." He was right- I had. Chills went up my back. He was one of the very few patients who I told the family I would have like to have known him when he was healthy. He was with it enough the first night I cared for him he said he would have liked to have known me when he was healthy. I think he was the first patient to say anything like that to me. He was one of those people you'd have to say, He was a good man.

2 comments:

an Donalbane said...

Will have to check out the LSGG next time I am out to W'ford (was just there Thursday). What did they charge for the ammo for 100 rounds?

For me it was a treat to go to Gibson's and check out their reloading supplies (I really need to load some .357 and .45 practice ammo). We were gonna shoot the Mini-14 on Labor Day, but oldest son got a call from work and we had to cut our shooting session short so he could get to work (the upside was that he got 1.5x time).

I have a big picture of Zac pulling his yacht with the motorcycle. Funny.

el chupacabra said...

Hey Don- As I recall bought the ammo at Wally worl for 40 bucks/100 rounds. Going back to lsgg this Saturday.