Monday, January 13, 2020

Monday's Missives


  • On my commute I see 2 different vehicles that have some permutation of John Galt for the license plate. As I understand it there is a 92% chance a guy who would have that type of plate and I would probably have some common philosophical ground yet there is a 9000% chance I would dislike a guy who felt he had to have that plate.
  • Years ago I tried reading the book that character's name came from. It was terrible. It is causing me to feel tired just thinking about it.
  • My voice recognition has stopped working. That stinks bigger than I thought it would.
  • I love the show Time Team.
  • If I were famous, unless directly involved in a conversation on social media - I would have one of those filters that doesn't send the post for a specified time. 
  • It could wait 10 minutes.
  • I need to get my DNA test done.
  • I no longer have any black friends.
  • Recently in a friendly manner I asked a fellow nurse to lunch. She accepted and I think took it as being asked out. What made me think she thought that? She blushed and smiled so big I was afraid her face might break and she got gushy. She is either into me (or at least thinking about being that way) embarrassed I'm into her or she is way too into chicken shawarma.
  • I didn't realize how much Charlie and Eddie Murphy sounded alike until I heard clips of Eddie hosting SNL.
  • It is very hard for me to read fiction.
  • The attack by the Saudi pilot here was inevitable.  
  • Well you make me nervous.

4 comments:

an Donalbane said...

Back in the mid-'90s, I wanted to read The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged, but never got around to it. An ultra-libertarian friend had recommended them. Over the years, I have come to accept that I am conservative/libertarian, and not hard core or 'big-L' libertarian. Like you, I've grown a bit suspicious of people who lionize the character in that book. Even though my friend and I lost touch, I don't think it was anything to do with him that led to the skepticism; rather, it was learning several facts of the author's life that I found unsavory.

I probably now have more African-American co-workers than I ever have had before. We are all 'friendly', to the point that they have conferred on me the title of 'honorary brother'. One, when she gets fake pi$$ed at me, threatens to revoke my 'black card'.

el chupacabra said...

It seems I was gifted a combo copy( what is that called?) of those books if memory serves. Also, another time I tried valiantly reading them after picking the copies up in the library.

I have several super good work friends who are black. Just none recently in real life.

Bear said...

I listened to the books on audio. Much easier to get all the way through.

el chupacabra said...

Could try that maybe there's another example or two in my life of books that I've plowed through better by listening to them rather than reading them.