Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Drive Time Talking Points

  • I really like the NPR science shows in the afternoon although when they take calls it wears me smooth out. The callers all want to show how very smart they are.
  • Talk radio shows call-in days may be worse though as they are venting and attempting to show how very well informed and clever they are.
  • Recently I had Nolan Ryan on my mind and practiced my imitation of that twang of his while getting dressed for work. Within 30 minutes of getting in the car The Ticket was playing sound bites of him talking, goofing on him a bit.
  • I've heard multiple conservatives railing about water saving measures as though that is the first step toward the government marching us off to the gas chambers if we roll over on the issue. They talked about personal rights, lawn health and oddly predicted the demise of landscaping businesses. That literally makes no sense- for every one that would go out of business (although there is no reason even one would) ten more would sprout up started by guys who had sense enough to market less thirsty plants and landscaping techniques.
  • The plan one city started was projected to save as I recall, 40 million gallons a day.
  • Russ Martin's show is crude yes- but man it is funny. I saw a guy one day next to me busting out repeatedly- he must have been listening to the show.
  • Although I like WRR I'm rarely into classical except after evening clinic it is sometimes nice to open the sunroof and turn up some Pachelbel. They're also really good about playing music by lesser known  composers and giving some interesting ad hoc history lessons.
  • I'm sure it happens in every market but it is interesting the number of people in our area who were born and raised here and have been on the air since forever.
  • Now, I know this stupid computer is randomly moving where I'm typing up into another thought and it isn't me accidentally moving the cursor or hitting an insert key or something. It isn't clear to me if that is supposed to soothe me or infuriate me even more.
  • I miss G Gordon Liddy's show. It was very interesting, informative, educational and funny.
  • Within limits money spent on your car audio/video isn't wasted. The Beemer is the first car I've had in a while with a stock system. My next vehicle will have a top drawer system and I will choose the components and do the install.
  • One of the black radio stations does a thing called Mad Minute where somebody is set up and the DJs along with the other person calls them and uses some outrage to make them mad. The results are recorded then played during the morning drive. It is uncomfortable if nothing else but often funny. It is a wonder one of the victims hasn't stroked out.

1 comment:

an Donalbane said...

One of my friends leans liberal, and listens to NPR a lot. I sometimes try to listen to a bit of the public radio, but almost always end up thinking of the SNL 'Schweddy Balls' sketch.

I think I get where you're coming from about the pushback from some of my conservative brethren and sistren. I've got bonafide conservative cred, but when I hear my compatriots say *stuff* like "I'm gonna buy a Hummer just to piss off a liberal", or somesuch, I have to SMH. I don't buy in to the global warmism/'we're all gonna drown', but I probably do more in terms of conserving energy & water, and recycling than probably any liberal but Ed Begley, Jr.

True fact: Several times, upon buying a new (to me) vehicle, I have listened to WRR for a few/several days before reverting to my native classic rock format.