Wednesday, July 4, 2018

My Fourth Of July Coming Of Age Story


When I first enlisted it was in the Texas
Army National Guard in Decatur TX. The full timer there was SSG Ben Moya and one of the recruiters was SFC Stivers although; I do not recall if either were present during the debauchery that followed my enlistment. Honestly- Stivers may or may not have been there (kinda think he was) and Moya I am very sure was not there (but not 100% sure). I only have definite recall of a part time recruiter and another enlistee by name or face. There were later in the same day definitely 5 guys in a vehicle made for 4.
Anyway, back in the day when you tested to enlist you did it in your hometown armory- at the recruiters desk. If you enlisted in Decatur TX, when you did your physical they took you to a super old doctor in Wichita Falls. Why Wichita Falls? The true reason may be lost to time to me but it may have been related to the Bowie and Decatur units being tied together (with Wichita Falls being the closest city of any size to Bowie) and/or the old doc being the only one who made himself available on Saturdays. I only recall the waiting room being dimly lit and the building may have been isolated somewhat or at least on a big lot.
Once we passed the physical we came back to the armory and took the oath.
We then went to the kitchen to a fridge full of food and booze that was left over from a
party the night before. People who rented the armory always left booze and food I would learn later.
We partook mightily.
Somebody rolled out a projector. I presumed we were about to watch a training film or even a war movie.
It was my introduction to John Holmes. He was doing it with some gorgeous, tiny Asian woman.
We drank like there was no tomorrow  and pigged out on fried chicken like we just got released from prison.
We then followed the recruiter out to the Quonset hut which had formerly been the actual armory and piled into an M151 jeep. I remember- it literally sounded like a sewing machine when it was at idle- a comforting tappity tappity...
We then went out to LBJ Grasslands and climbed hills and generally played around for hours. We then watched the sunset from the jeep- beers in hand. I was seated on top of the spare tire. I grinned like a possum the entire evening. It was probably the happiest I had been to that point in my life.
I knew it was the start of something big, that I would never be the same. It was my first step toward manhood.
I was 17 years old.

1 comment:

an Donalbane said...

I have never seen any of Mr. Holmes' "work", a record I hope to maintain.

Back in the late '80s, and into the early '90s, we used to go to the LBJ grasslands W/NW of Alvord to sight in and test blackpowder loads, as most ranges didn't look so kindly on creating large billows of smoke. I seem to recall driving west from 287 past a hog farm to get to that particular tract. At some point, they stopped allowing any shooting except for shotguns, if memory serves.