Monday, March 8, 2010

Monday's Missives

2012: the clock ticks and the bell tolls- for whom does the bell toll? I tolls for you...

  • I was walking a main road this morning and it nearly cost me my precious life. On that road there is hardly no shoulder so I walked against traffic and as a vehicle got closer I would step well away from the road- to save their paint job and my pretty face. While looking ahead I saw a truck leave the road making a shower of grass and then gravel from the soft shoulder as it returned to the road and then it proceeded toward me while I judiciously moved well away and stopped to watch the truck as it passed. A diabetic episode? anaphylactic shock from a bee sting? Surprised by the kidnapper who suddenly appeared in her rear view mirror? No, no and no. She was texting and still did not see me as I stood there. Insane- we are absolutely crazy.
  • I mean really. Holy smokes, what is wrong with us?

  • When I get relieved by the nurse on next shift while we're caring for a patient in the nursing home they sometimes get their feelings hurt when they see an empty breakfast tray in the room. They'll ask with genuine surprise,"Did he eat all that? I didn't think he was responsive enough to eat at all- that's good!" I'll have to innocently say,"No, it was mine- the charge nurse (or nurses aide) brought it to me." They will look hurt-absolutely smashed and say something to the effect,"Are you kidding? I have been coming here for weeks and they never do that for me."

  • Sorry.

  • My last patient loved football. Man, I watched more football in the 5 or 6 days I cared for him than in my whole life.

  • When I hit enter between bullets on here sometimes the post publishes instead of dropping down to the next line.
  • I initially spelled that, "drooping".

  • It's very rare for me to recommend someone to my company for consideration to a position.

  • I'm generally very reluctant to divulge my only real phobia-ish thing about myself but, here it goes: when I use a disposable lighter to light a fire I have a vague feeling in the back of my mind it's going to explode and blow my hand off and this is so true I sometimes unconsciously use my non dominant hand to light the fire.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG I have the same feelings about lighters too!

mzchief said...

* When I hear of a head-on or a side swipe collision, I cannot help but wonder if texting was a part of the equation.

* I sincerely hope the last 5-6 days of my life are spent with loved ones rather than watching television.

* I will only use stiff wooden matches in a box rather than paper matches that come in a packet because I am a wee bit concerned about the warning on the packet to close the cover to prevent the packet from catching fire.

Really! Really? Does that thin paper cover REALLY keep the packet from bursting into flames? I think NOT!