Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Ages Old Draft Clean Up


  • It was bound to happen sooner or later: a while back my 15 year old passed a pair of shoes he had outgrown down to me, wait would that be up?

  • I love watches and if I had the means confidence is quite high I would own hundreds (at least).

  • I gave my childrens great grandfather a nice-ish but, inexpensive pocket watch as a stocking stuffer one year. Twelve plus years later I saw it with his other pocket items on his night stand with evidence of wear (he even reported wearing the chain out and having to replace it).

  • Nice feeling. I really didn't know he had appreciated it enough to use it that much and honestly, after I gave it to him don't know that it ever even crossed my mind after that.

  • I miss him and my mother like no others in this world.

1 comment:

an Donalbane said...

I think I'm right there with you, bruh, on watches (well, maybe not hundreds). Currently I alternate between two: A Seiko/Rolex clone, and a Timex Indiglo outdoors-ish watch.

If I had mega-funding, I would add a nice tank watch (Hamilton/Bulova/Elgin) or two - preferably vintage - and an elegant gunmetal finish, ultra thin, round face watch. And a simple, traditional Omega, and a rounded tank Patek Philippe. Maybe a Tag-Heuer or Breitling, but not both.

Not a big fan of the Invictas - too large (diameter and thickness) for my taste, and most of the Rolexes, for the same reason. I'm sometimes a bit of a klutz - the thicker the watch, the more likely I am to snag it on stuff (sometimes as simple as going through a doorway). Besides, Dad used to say that "The bigger the watch, the smaller...", so there's that. Although, presumably, I will someday inherit his retirement Rolex (which, to my knowledge, he's never worn).

I like gold, gold/stainless, and gunmetal metal clasp bands, leather (including snake or croc), and nylon bands (for outdoor watches). What I can't stand are the old Speidel-type elastic metal bands.

Anyway, that should give you an idea of what to get me for birthday/Christmas, so you won't lose sleep trying to think of a good gift idea.

That's cool about your GGFIL. It's nice to know someone enjoyed your gift. I always try to give a feedback loop to people who've gifted me with something I found useful, and have sometimes been disappointed when I don't know if gifts I've given (which I thought would be the berries for the recipient) were appreciated or not. Although oldest son did recently text me a picture, after he got it inflated, no, actually it was a high-intensity portable work light, showing him using it to work on a truck he was getting ready to sell.

And of course, no matter which watch you get me, you know I'd post a picture of me wearing it on my blog. ;)