Monday, May 21, 2018

Monday's Missives

I get and appreciate the sentiment but even as this toothpick holder was given to me the fact a person in our area could not text 911 was considered a grave shortcoming in the system.




My new pack absolutely looks like a parachute. Some comedian of an engineer put the icing on the cake with this rip cord handle looking device which is ostensibly part of a system to hold hiking poles.

Although I spend from it; I have always tried to leave a little money in my vehicles- enough to get us home and/or eat if my card fails. As an experiment, I left all my change from every cash transaction in the console of my truck. After 2 months there were 138 dollars.

Cereal dirt left behind by my children (and it only took 3 boxes to get this amount). Just add milk for cereal mud!

The ad hoc bookmarks I find in library books always intrigue me.

  • A one time partner told me how she learned to do a specific sex act on a guy- by reading a Cosmo magazine saying, You know the type- The title was something like, How to drive your man crazy in five simple steps! Instead of it being gross to hear about or at least being uncomfortable to discuss- for some reason it struck me as being funny and vaguely interesting. We laughed and laughed.
  • Don't Change A Thing- For Me
  • INXS is probably my most long standing favorite band in that I heard them early on and never stopped listening. The preceding song came out in 1982. Gulp- 34 years ago. How did that happen?
  • Time is relentless.
  • As I recall I only saw it rain in Iraq twice. Once was during a mission briefing. There were a few pitter patters of rain on the hood of a HMMWV which caused the patrol leader to stop speaking midsentence and he and everybody else to stop and stare in awe at the rain drops and/or to look up and feel them hit our faces. It was mesmerizing. Another time it poured. It rained so much there was water standing ankle deep- on flat ground. My friend and I got separated from each other on the way back to our tents. We could hear each other calling out but couldn't see each other. My cover (hat) blew off my head and was found by a female Marine Master Sergeant and returned to my unit a week later.
  • Today is 06/02/2016. I leave Saturday morning for New Mexico.
  • Recently I saw a video of a cop shoot somebody. What stuck out to me was I didn't know which was more retarded; the cop holding his gun sideways like he thought he was in a 1990s rap video or the guy he shot being unable to effectively run away because he had to hold his pants up.
  • If given the choice of a Fail or Win video I will choose Win about 93% of the time.
  • Black Rebel Motorcycle Club Red Eyes and Tears live in London.

5 comments:

an Donalbane said...

Today, oldest son texted me about a truck repair he would have undertaken at the drop of a hat when he was 18, but now he is so busy he needs the truck to make money, so he will have someone else do it.

[He]: "Kinda crazy how life changes in 7 years, I guess."

[Me]: "Yes, Son, it do."

el chupacabra said...

Ha yeah- next step will be: I have both the skills and time to do X repair but nah. That is what God made mechanics for...

Mike M. said...

Text to 911 is up and running in some areas. Probably not too long until it will be just about everywhere.

Back when I used cash (now it's always debit), I saved my change from every transaction at the end of the day . It's amazing how quickly it adds up; I'd typically get about $400-$500 per year. It was a nice "bonus".

I always loved chasing those guys who had to hold their pants up while attempting to evade me. Sadly, those foot pursuits never learne very long.

Mike M. said...

... Never "lasted" very long...

el chupacabra said...

Hey Mike Yeah it's weird in the past I was always reluctant to use plastic and preferred cash but these days I'll go weeks without spending any cash and for that matter-often and have no cash on me at all.
Someday maybe we'll see a Blog titled Cop Stories With Mike.