Friday, December 21, 2018

Friday Morning Car Talk


  • Mike made me think of an old car story. The 1993 Suburban was a great car. Not only was it was reliable and pretty- it was easily the most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned. 
  • It was a top of the line trim package but the real secret I think was slightly oversized tires and high quality gas shocks.
  • It was the subject of a paint recall- which was completed only a few months before I bought it.  It looked like new. The color was a high end A&M color. It was beautiful.  It was complimented constantly.
  • Also within some months prior to my buying it there was a miss somewhere that a complete tune up did not fix- so the heads were replaced. It seems like there were 14000 miles on that new top end.
  • The tires were high end and nearly new.
  • The seats were a great mix of mush and firmness. Come to think of it- I wonder if they were custom?
  • Although I don't have any independent recall of how old it was- the transmission was quite new.
  • The only thing I know I did mechanical was replace the fuel pump.
  • The fuel pumped failed within minutes of filling it up. The fuel pump was in the tank.
  • I repaired it myself.
  • I saved 300+ buck- doing it myself. 
  • That, is in case you are wondering- about 3000 buck in poor people money.
  • When I had the exhaust replaced we put in a high quality, larger than stock one. 
  • It was the quietest car I have owned (and maybe bested only by my Benz). Honestly- to stay safe I would have to pull over and stretch- or SLEEP after just a few hours as it was soooo quiet and comfortable.
  • When I replaced the battery a slightly larger deep cycle one was recommended. It was slightly more expensive but had a ridiculously generous replacement policy. That didn't matter though- I got 6 years of use out of it. All the while that at some point for over a year it got nearly nothing but hot/cold starts and a short (I could get to work in 7 minutes) drive.
  • Yeah I basically stole that car- and still miss it.
  • It was a great car.
  • PS: I looked for an SUV meme to illustrate this post. All the results were of monster trucks and mud buggies. A fair number had homophobic slurs regarding drivers of the opposing brand preferred by the memes creator. There were also apparent screen grabs of ghey pron scenes which were censored with a Chevy or Ford etc. emblem.
  • So- no meme for you TODAY!

2 comments:

an Donalbane said...

I feel yer pain on the fuel pump replacement. I did one on my SUV in about '05-'06 - the tank was about 3/4 full. Siphoned what I could, then gently lowered the tank on cribbing. Busted a strap flange in the process, which I was able to get my Dad to weld up the same afternoon, while I drove to Burleson to get the new pump.

About 2 years ago, I had another fuel delivery failure that I misdiagnosed. Thought it was the pump after listening for the relay to kick in and hearing it click. Unfortunately, after getting the tank out of the vehicle, I found it was instead the relay, from which the contact point had come loose - while it clicked, it did not make contact. I was miffed at the trouble I'd gone through, but glad I didn't have to buy a pump.

I think my two favorite cars have been: 1) '83 Datsun 280-ZX 2+2, and '87 Trooper II. The latter was underpowered with its 4-banger, but nimble and fun to drive.

el chupacabra said...

My memory? of Datsun 280ZXs extend to me being very sure I have ridden in one- but having no good independent recall of said ride. In an even to/from kind of way I know where we went but I really cannot tell you what the ride was like.

I had a Nissan Trooper II once. It was a turd but I loved it!

Honestly, it was LOVE- as in it didnt deserve it and I couldn't explain it.