Monday, July 20, 2020

Monday's Missives









  • Someone once thought they had to tell me about seeing an ex with somebody new. They said, He looks just like you except a little chubbier and younger. I later saw the dude. Yeah he looked like me- in a way that he was a middle-aged bald white dude who wore glasses. Recently though, I saw a former interest with her new dude at the outdoor seating area of a restaurant. The similarity between he and I was so striking- I actually had to depart from the scene before I was forced to come face-to-face with him. It would have been too much- for both of us. Honestly, there was a chance I had accidentally crossed a line in the space-time continuim and intruded into one of my alternate parallel universes.
  • It rained all night last night.
  • Somebody recently tried to bait me into admitting weed use. I don't know if it was random or if they thought they were acting on a hunch.
  • There is a man sitting across from me in my breakfast place in Weatherford who vaguely reminds me of Judge Holloway. He is talking about using a TV tray.
  • My best friend and I could not be more different in the ways we differ or more alike in the ways we are similar.  
  • As a kid I never would have guessed that as an adult I would spend so much time being tired.
  • If you are ridiculously rich- say you won a hundred million dollars in a lottery what is the most ridiculous thing you would own? For me without hesitation, I would say- A gold-plated helicopter.
  • What's the dumbest thing you've done in a while? For me it was wearing well insulated waterproof boots on a hiking trip to Big Bend in June. I actually meant to pick up my other boots which were lying not too far away from the door before I left. Somehow I forgot them. I thought I would just stop and buy some more. I tried two different stores and couldn't find anything that fit or was right. Sometimes when we would be on the trail it felt like my feet were on fire.

3 comments:

RPM said...

I have a hard "buy nothing Hunter Ellis advertises" rule.

an Donalbane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
an Donalbane said...

I had woman a few weeks ago tell me about a memorable evening with my ex that occurred a few years back. While it wasn't specifically salacious, but I didn't consider it flattering to my ex's memory, nor to the woman telling me the story. The weird thing is why she thought it would be a good story to share. The gal was a contemporary to my ex, but has deep roots in my community - I know her parents, and even knew her grandparents some 30+ years ago - the prior generations are some of the finest people I have met.

A young colleague of mine who's kind of a nature-gal gave a seventy-something colleague a small mason jar of herbal poultice for his wife's muscle aches or somesuch. Apparently it's an Alaskan culture home remedy. Of course, there was some ribbing going on in the break room, and I learned later that my friend (the older guy) had been called to visit with management about the nature of the jar of leaves or whatnot.

If I had such a windfall as you describe, I would create a couple charities, fund some worthwhile gifts, make a nice contribution to a church-run school, as well as to some specific churches that I hold in high regard. Then I would start a large-scale renovation of my domicile (probably over-building it a bit for the neighborhood), resto-mod my vehicles, and buy a motorcycle (used), as well as CTS-V (used), and an Excursion (diesel) or maybe a used G-Wagon. No golden helicopter for me, I would shop for a lightly used Piper Malibu Meridian, Socata TBM, or even a Quest Kodiak (although it's not as sexy as the prior two). The Cessna Denali would be the berries, but being a cheap-a$$, I wouldn't spend the money on a brand new airplane.

I've been wearing a pair of Eddie Bauer hiking boots for about six months and love them