Thursday, November 8, 2018

Thursdays Thoughts


  • On a road trip I saw a sign in Oklahoma for Two Baby Creek. It made me draw up inside to think of how it got its name- two baby's died of cholera? Were two babys murdered there by Kiowa or Commanches? Nope, there had at one time been a kindly Arapahoe native American who camped there. When he was born he was so big he could have been two babys- so the name stuck. White people in the area liked him so they named the creek in his honor.
  • Honestly I'm shocked the origin of that name was so benign- pleasant even.
  • Wichita mountain range wildlife refuge is amazing. I'm going back as soon as I can. It may be my new, my place.
  • I finally had Indian tacos. Verdict: super good to eat- probably not real good for you.
  • The lodge at Lake Murray is great. I played Jenga there for the first time. My guess is it is hard to beat somebody who has even a bit of skill and feel for the game.
  • We ate chocolate cobbler with ice cream at Roman Nose Lodge. 
  • Obviously in 100 years there will still be signs of CCC and WPA work but what about 200? Will there be one building that is saved in perpetuity regardless of cost?
  • To be in the Civilian Conservation Corp a man had to have 3 masticating teeth, be 5 feet tall and weigh 107 pounds. There were plenty of guys who had to pig out before weigh in to make that weight. Today, can you imagine an adult american male who could not make that cut?
  • We called 911 on an impaired driver close to Corn Oklahoma. We followed her for at least 10 miles. It is a miracle she did not kill anybody. Weirdest thing? When she would drive off the road or nearly hit someone head on she would look back and wave like, Excuse me- I'm sorry...
  • I saw a woman at the toy and action figure museum in pauls valley who had impossibly hairy legs.

1 comment:

an Donalbane said...

Hey, Bevo, could you move a little closer to the BBQ grill, just for convenience's sake?