Monday, January 4, 2010

Monday's Missives








  • I know of only one two year old who goes to bed with a flashlight and book.




  • Big bubba had his wisdom teeth pulled I laughed at his post anesthesia antics and nearly cried at his helplessness.




  • I still have the same flashlight I've used to check patient eyes with in nursing school.




  • It's the one the baby is using.




  • One of the guys I went to school with was my childs school nurse.




  • Another has lost his license.




  • Would really like to own a 'Vette once in my life.
  • Not a Chevette



  • The HMMWV (Hummer) is officially being phased out- the replacement looks great, has good specs and shares the drivetrain with the USMC 7 ton truck (iconic to Marines). Very smart. About time.




  • When I was in Iraq a truck full of Marine females in a 7 ton was blown up near Fallujah killing all 9- I think that numbers right anyway. It caused a great deal of debate in the states about women in combat areas. I thought they were supposed to be equals.




  • I spoke to a wrecker operator who went out on the recovery- he said there was nothing to hook to to tow the truck, it was just pieces, pieces scattered everywhere. He held his hands out approximately 3 X 3 feet,"Nothing bigger than this."

4 comments:

Kathleen... said...

I love the visual of a 2 year old with his flashlight in bed! That's great. =)

And females in combat? I always say this about the whole "equality," women's lib thing: I do not want to take out the trash or mow the yard, nor do I want to be on the front lines of anything. I will shriek and/or cry if frightened to death; I do not possess the testosterone necessary to harden like a man. I'm not "equal." I'm a Woman. We're meant to be different.

But then again, I am referred to as the most old-fashioned, conservative Chica in the group of women that I know. ;)

el chupacabra said...

Mrs AnO- You're right on the issue of females in combat. One of the odd things about that situation was it brought up debate among the Soldiers and Marines present who would have otherwise at least grudgingly accepted if not supported the idea beforehand. Also, instead of dying in open combat they were all killed by a huge roadside bomb so their death was sensed greater and debated more than if they had been males- their qualities in combat could not be debated, they just died and still the question of having them in combat was brought up from the battlefield itself all the way to the US public opinion, news media and political arena..

Gia's Spot said...

Who supplie his "light" reading material?
And as for women in combat, I say if they can hang they can fight and die also. It is their choice. I used to speak loudly about being equal to a man but then it dawned on me that because I can carry a life, I am actually a tiny bit more superior! (Well I just opened myself up for all kinds of stuff didn't I?)
(Oh and Chup, that was the cutest comment you left on my blog.....made me spit my coffee!)

an Donalbane said...

I have been trying very hard lately to not let my kitchen sink look like that.

Now, if I can transfer that to the rest of the house...