Thursday, July 24, 2008

A Brush with Fame




  • When I was in junior high I competed against (ok was slaughtered by) Mike Von Erich in the discus at a track meet.
  • All of the brothers and Fritz were there.
  • As a pretty little kid you simply cannot comprehend how big those guys seemed.
  • Fritz's voice was unbelievably deep and gravelly.
  • While he worked with Mike, Fritz barked at David or Kerry one,"Go get started helping that boy." motioning towards me!
  • They both came over to the practice pit I was using. They were very patient and kind. I remember wishing they were my big brothers.
  • They were giants.
  • Fritz weighed 15 lbs at birth
  • Kerry's foot was amputated after a motorcycle wreck. He continued performing and in fact kept his amputation a secret until another wrestler grabbed his boot during a match attempting to pull him out of the ring and pulled his prosthesis off.

1 comment:

no more said...

sad the story behind the von erichs. I was totally obsessed with watching them back in the 80's. I remember the head shaving match, junkyard dog, the freebirds, kerry's boot coming off in a match, them were the DAYS. I don't watch wrestling now, after the rise and fall of the greatest wrestling family it wasn't worth it